17 PATIENT COUNSELING INFORMATION
Inform patients (and/or their caregivers) of the following information to aid in the safe and effective use of SOMAVERT:
- Not to use SOMAVERT if they are allergic to SOMAVERT or anything in it.
- They will need blood testing to check IGF-I levels and liver tests before and during treatment with SOMAVERT and that the dose of SOMAVERT may be changed based on the results of these tests.
- SOMAVERT has not been studied in pregnant women and instruct them to notify their healthcare provider as soon as they are aware that they are pregnant.
- It is not known whether SOMAVERT is excreted in human milk and instruct them to notify their healthcare provider if they plan to do so.
- Pregnancy: Inform female patients that treatment with SOMAVERT may result in unintended pregnancy [see Females and Males of Reproductive Potential (8.3)].
Advise patients (and/or their caregivers) of the following adverse reactions:
- The most common reported adverse reactions are injection site reaction, elevations of liver tests, pain, nausea, and diarrhea.
- If they have liver test elevations they may need to have more frequent liver tests and/or discontinue SOMAVERT. Instruct patients to immediately discontinue therapy and contact their physician if they become jaundiced.
- GH-secreting tumors may enlarge in people with acromegaly and that these tumors need to be watched carefully and monitored by MRI imaging.
- Thickening under the skin may occur at the injection site that could lead to lumps and that switching sites may prevent or lessen this.
- If they have diabetes mellitus, they may require careful monitoring and dose reductions of insulin and/or oral hypoglycemic agents while on SOMAVERT.
- If they take opioids, they may need higher SOMAVERT doses to achieve appropriate IGF-I suppression.
Advise patients that SOMAVERT is supplied as lyophilized powder in different strengths of 10 mg, 15 mg, 20 mg, 25 mg, and 30 mg in a sterile glass vial within a package also containing a single-dose flip top vial of sterile water (diluent) for injection. Advise patients that the stoppers on both vials are not made with natural rubber latex. Advise patients to follow the directions for reconstitution provided with each package including shaking may cause denaturation (destruction) of the active ingredient (therefore do not shake).
Advise patients that the package of SOMAVERT should be stored in a refrigerator 2 to 8°C (36 to 46°F) prior to use. It should NOT BE FROZEN.